Daniël advises on all aspects of advertising and marketing law, including (cross-border) clearance work, agency-client contracts, celebrity talent agreements, influencer agreements, license agreements, privacy, contests, promotions and dispute resolution in the advertising sector before the civil courts and self-regulatory bodies. His work also concerns the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights (including trade marks and copyright). Based in creative hub Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Daniël’s clients include many major ad agencies and high-profile brand owners active across a wide range of sectors, including FMCG, food & beverages, retail, entertainment, aviation, fashion, technology and charity.
Chambers (2018) writes: ‘Daniel Haije is particularly experienced in mandates involving comparative advertising campaigns and represents clients from the retail, fashion and technology sectors. Clients appreciate his “excellent client service,” noting that he is “always friendly and responsive, as well as commercially aware and astute.”‘
Chambers (2017) writes: ‘Daniel Haije specialises in trade mark infringement and protection issues. He is also noted for impressive work in advertising cases. (…) As well as impressing several peers with his caseload, clients describe him as “smart, knowledgeable and he speaks our language. He understands our creative limitations and options”. (…) Clients praise him as a “very good speaker in court with the ability to improvise if necessary”, while also admiring his “thorough”approach.
Daniel teaches advertising law to lawyers in a postgraduate program and lectures on portrait law at VU University Amsterdam and Comparative Advertising and Trademarks at Leiden University. He chairs the Netherlands Advertising Law Association and is global vice-chairman of the Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance (GALA), a network of the leading advertising lawyers active in many countries across the globe.
- Representing a large cosmetics company in summary proceedings against a competitor on misleading advertising for sunscreen products.
- Representing the world market leader in navigational equipment in multi-jurisdictional proceedings regarding comparative advertising against its main competitor.
- Representing an apparel company in a landmark case on nudity in outdoor advertising before the Dutch self-regulatory body.
- Obtaining an ex parte injunction against a competitor for a nationwide liquor retailer.
- Representing a manufacturer of lighting equipment in litigation on misleading comparative advertising against its main competitor.
- IP and advertising counsel for the largest Dutch supermarket chain.
- Drafting several celebrity endorsement contracts.