Ebba was admitted to the bar in 1985 and has been focusing on the advertising industry since 1989. Ebba has been recommended by Chambers Europe as “a great lawyer in advertising-related IP law, whose advice has been solicited by clients such as Unilever and Heineken for years” and [She is] “a renowned figure in advertising law, and attracts high praise from clients. She’s fast, smart and speaks our language, says one. She is also praised for her considerable knowledge and eye for detail”. Chambers (2016) client comments: [She is] a “very empathetic person, enthusiastic and always straightforward and clear”, “she is service-oriented” and “excellent and quick with her advice.”
In addition, Best Lawyers remarks, based on peer review, that Ebba is one of the two leading lawyers in advertising law in the Netherlands. Global Law Experts mentions Ebba as the leading advertising lawyer in the Netherlands.
Clients particularly praise her point and practical advice, always noting what is possible. Ebba counsels the majority of the larger advertising bureaus and several companies in the consumer industry on advertising law. She also advises several producers of health and nutrition products on product information and the European Claims Regulation.
Ebba often litigates before the self regulatory Advertising Code Committee and national courts.
Ebba is on the editorial board of the Dutch legal IP and advertising journal IER. She chairs the Dutch Advertising Law Association and the National Advertising Conference, and chaired the Benelux Trademark and Design Law Association. She is a board member of the Dutch Advertising Association and of the World Press Photo Supervisory Board.
- Appeal regarding alleged misleading advertising by a major pharmaceutical enterprise.
- Various procedures at the Advertising Code Committee and the Board of Appeal concerning misleading advertising, good taste and decency, alcohol advertising, advertising for health products and so on.
- Representing the largest European supermarket retail chain in a dispute concerning comparative advertising.
- Consultant for many different national and international advertising agencies.
- Consultant regarding advertising law and Health, Beauty & Food law and court procedures for a prominent Dutch supermarket retail chain.
- Representation of a Dutch optical retail chain in a series of comparative advertisements.
- Drafting various (cooperation) agreements in the field of advertising.
- Drafting general conditions, e.g. for promotional games of chance.
- Representation of FNV in proceedings against the State at the Advertising Code Committee and the Board of Appeal regarding political advertising in connection with health policy reforms.
Health Beauty Food
- Fundamental (business administration) procedure with regard to a ban on sales of a foodstuff by NVWA(Dutch Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority).
- Preferred consultant of foodstuff manufacturers in cases of label checks and packagings (of e.g. alcoholic drinks).
- Counsel in enforcement activities by NVWA with regard to alleged misleading packagings.
- Advice on possible recall of a foodstuff / enforcement NVWA.
- Advice to a large food company on the risk of deception in relation to claims on a product label.
- Advice on the marketing of food supplements in the Netherlands (product name, composition requirements, labelling, health claims).
- Advice on the marketing of a new cosmetic product.