Admitted to the bar in 1998, Maarten is a specialist in dispute resolution concerning IP and commercial contracts. He is a seasoned litigator who quickly gets to the heart of a matter, and who is able to translate complex issues into clear language. With this combination Maarten often makes the difference as a litigator or as a negotiator. A client describes Maarten as “a true strategist who combines business and legal perspectives” (Chambers).
Maarten acts before courts in the Netherlands, the Court of Justice, the Benelux Court, in arbitration, and in EU and Benelux oppositions, invalidity and cancellation procedures. In cross border matters Maarten often involves law firms in other countries. He can take the lead in a European infringement action.
Apart from dispute resolution, Maarten advises clients on the exploitation of IP rights. He assists with drafting and negotiating solid commercial contracts (license, coexistence, distribution). Maarten’s true interest in particular sectors is reflected by the World Trademark Review: “Heavy-hitters in the fashion, design, luxury goods, retail and food industries call on the strategic counselling and litigation skills of Maarten Haak, a popular trademark, copyright, designs and unfair competition specialist. He is exactly what you want in the modern lawyer – practical and able to advise from both business and legal perspectives.”
Maarten is on the editing board of the Industrial Property Review (BIE), and frequently publishes and speaks about IP law. He is an active member of various professional associations, including INTA, MARQUES, ECTA and AIPPI. Up to 2016 Maarten also acted as a deputy Judge in the Court of Appeal of Arnhem-Leeuwarden.
Last but not least: Maarten is very accessible. Just give him a call if you wish to discuss an issue.
• Acting for a fashion company against a European retailer in cross border trademark infringement proceedings
• Acting for a design company in proceedings on the design of an iconic lamp (copyright, design, unfair competition)
• Acting for a hospital chain in a cross border action on trademark and tradename rights
• Representing rightholders in oppositions, cancellation and invalidity actions before the EU and Benelux offices
• Representing rightholders in appeal cases before the Court of Justice and the Benelux Court of Justice
• Arranging for an ex parte injunction and a pre trial attachment of evidence
• Advising on parallel import of fast moving consumer goods
• Taking action against counterfeit products and arranging the destruction thereof
• Representing a global brand in an arbitration on an agency agreement
• Drafting and negotiating several license and distribution agreements
• Representing a plaintiff in an arbitration on the use and valuation of know how